Ben Schamisso - Newsy

Ben Schamisso

Reporter

Ben Schamisso is a reporter focused primarily on global affairs and immigration. Born and raised in Belgium, Ben's international upbringing aids in his storytelling. Prior to joining Newsy in 2016, he was the lead videographer for Belgium's most prestigious soccer team and a producer for the Chicago Tribune. He earned his master's degree in broadcast journalism at Northwestern's Medill School of Journalism in 2012. Want to chat with him about immigration and foreign policy? Well, you're in luck — he speaks three languages.

  Recent Work
Mourning fans wave at the caravan carrying the remains of Diego Maradona to his resting place in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
AP / Rodrigo AbdWorld

Fans Mourn Soccer Legend Diego Maradona As 'Man Of The People'

A restaurant in Stockholm, Sweden, on Nov. 20, 2020.
AP / TV4World

Virus Surge Tests Sweden's Soft-Touch Approach

President-elect Joe Biden speaks about economic recovery on Monday, Nov. 16, 2020, in Wilmington, Del.
AP Photo/Andrew HarnikPolitics

How Will Joe Biden Change Foreign Policy?

Relatives hug each other through a plastic film screen and a glass to avoid contracting COVID-19, at a nursing home in Italy.
Filippo Ciappi/LaPresse via APSci/Health

Some European Lockdowns Appear To Be Flattening COVID-19 Spread

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau speaks on the phone to President-elect Joe Biden
Twitter / Justin TrudeauPolitics

World Leaders Call Biden, Vow COVID And Climate Change Collaboration

Immigrant activists
Luz ChavezPolitics

DACA Recipients Breathe A Sigh Of Relief With Biden Victory

A man puts a US flag up in the town of Ballina, the ancestral home of President elect Joe Biden, in North West of Ireland.
AP Photo/Peter MorrisonPolitics

'Welcome Back America': Biden Victory Brings Hope And Relief Abroad

A pile of French newspaper 'Le Monde' headlines "Trump-Biden : the United States is tearing itself apart"
AP Photo/Francois MoriPolitics

World Anxiously Awaits U.S. Election Outcome

Armed police in Vienna
AP Photo / Ronald ZakWorld

Vienna Shooting Deemed Terror Attack; ISIS Claims Responsibility

Betfair Exchange's election odds give Joe Biden a 66% chance of winning while President Trump gets 34%.
Betfair ExchangePolitics

Bettors Abroad Are Wagering Record Amounts On U.S. Election

French police officers stand near Notre Dame church in Nice, southern France, Thursday, Oct. 29, 2020.
Eric Gaillard/Pool via APWorld

Deadly Church Attack in Southern France Deemed 'Islamist Terrorism'

A Cuban man at campaign rally featuring Vice President Mike Pence at the Cuban Memorial Monument, Oct. 15, 2020, in Miami.
AP Photo/Lynne SladkyPolitics

Why Pres. Trump Is Gaining Support Among Cuban Americans In Florida

In this June 23, 2020, file photo, President Donald Trump tours a section of the border wall in San Luis, Ariz.
AP Photo/Evan VucciPolitics

Immigration Dominated 2016 Election But Neglected In 2020 Contest

New Zealand Prime Minister and leader of the Labour Party, Jacinda Ardern, has a selfie taken with supporters
AP Photo/Mark BakerWorld

Jacinda Ardern's Historic Election Victory Cements Her Global Stardom

A protester at a Trump campaign rally holds a Q sign.
AP Photo/Matt RourkePolitics

Spanish-Language Disinformation Targets Latino Voters, Spreading Fast

People dine at a restaurant as France's President Emmanuel Macron gives an address on television on Wednesday, Oct. 14, 2020.
AP Photo/Bob EdmeWorld

France Sets Curfews In Paris, Other Major Cities To Stop COVID Surge

People are out socializing in Liverpool city centre on Saturday, Oct. 10, 2020
Peter Byrne/PA via APWorld

As COVID-19 Surges In Europe, So Does Resistance To Restrictions

Judge Amy Coney Barrett
Demetrius Freeman / The Washington Post / APPolitics

How Would A Justice Barrett Influence The Court On Immigration?

Police officers stop a car at a checkpoint in Madrid on Tuesday, Sept. 29.
AP Photo/Manu FernandezWorld

As COVID Surges Again In Europe, Experts Call For Balanced Response

Dionel Perez-Hernandez (left) has been in ICE detention for 16 months
Dayami MontejoPolitics

Unable To Deport Cubans, ICE Keeps Many Indefinitely Locked Up

Brazil's president Jair Bolsonaro and Britain's prime minister Boris Johnson
AP PhotosU.S.

Johnson, Bolsonaro Offer Insights On How Trump May Deal With COVID-19

Joe Biden and President Donald Trump
AP photos / Newsy / Andrew LawlerPolitics

Pres. Trump And Biden Have Radically Different Immigration Platforms

Pauline Binan, a Cameroonian immigrant, who says she received an invasive surgery against her will in ICE detention.
Van HuynhPolitics

Lawyer Says Client's Fallopian Tube Was Removed Without Consent

A freeze frame from a Border Patrol fictionalized video showing a migrant killing an innocent man
Border PatrolPolitics

Border Patrol Made Fictional Video Of Migrant Killing Man

Protestors march in support of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) and Temporary Protected Status (TPS) programs
AP Photo/Lynne SladkyPolitics

Immigrants With Protected Status Sue To Restore Path To Green Cards

A pedestrian crossing from Mexico into the U.S. has his facial features and eyes scanned.
AP Photo/Denis PoroyPolitics

Trump Administration Wants Immigrants' DNA, Eye Scans, Voice Prints

People take the oath of citizenship during a naturalization ceremony
AP Photo/Frank Franklin IIPolitics

U.S. To Drastically Hike Citizenship And Most Other Immigration Fees

President Trump presides over a naturalization ceremony at the 2020 Republican National Convention
Republican National ConventionPolitics

Critics Call RNC Citizenship Ceremony 'Hypocrisy On A Galactic Scale'

President Donald Trump tours a section of the border wall, Tuesday, June 23, 2020, in San Luis, Ariz.
AP Photo/Evan VucciPolitics

Trump Doubles Down On Anti-Immigration Rhetoric As Reelection Strategy

Migrant families held by ICE contractors at a Texas hotel
Texas Civil Rights Project / Roberto Alejandro LopezPolitics

'Secret' Expulsions Of Migrant Kids Challenged In New Lawsuit