YouTube announced on Thursday that it will disable comments on videos of young children following accusations the site aided pedophiles in finding videos of minors.
The announcement comes after reports last week from both news outlets and a popular YouTube video creator that said the company's algorithm allowed pedophiles to easily find clips of young children in QUOTE "compromising positions". Companies like AT&T and Nestle quickly began pausing their advertisements on YouTube after the news became public.
YouTube says that it has now turned off the comment feature on "tens of millions" of videos that could possibly become subject to "predatory behavior." The company has said that they are working on creating better tools for detecting and removing problematic comments from its videos.
In a tweet, YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki said, "Nothing is more important to us than ensuring the safety of young people on the platform.”
The company says it will disable the comments in most videos that contain minors over the next few months.
Additional reporting from Newsy affiliate CNN.