Suspect In Orlando Officer's Killing Captured After 9-Day Manhunt

Suspect In Orlando Officer's Killing Captured After 9-Day Manhunt
Police had been looking for Markeith Loyd since mid-December after he allegedly killed his pregnant ex-girlfriend.

After a nine-day manhunt, authorities have captured the man suspected of killing an Orlando police officer.

Orlando police took Markeith Loyd into custody Tuesday evening.

Police say he shot and killed Master Sgt. Debra Clayton on Jan. 9 when she approached him in a Walmart parking lot. 

Loyd was suspected of killing his pregnant ex-girlfriend and her unborn child in mid-December, and police had been looking for him ever since.

Clayton was posthumously promoted to lieutenant at her funeral on Jan. 14.

Orange County Sheriff Jerry Demings said Loyd will be charged with two counts of first degree homicide for the shooting death of Sade Dixon and her unborn child. Loyd will also be charged with one count of attempted first degree homicide for shooting and gravely injuring the victim's brother. In addition, he'll be charged with two counts of aggravated assault. 

Orange County Sheriff's Deputy Norman Lewis was helping with the manhunt for Loyd when he was killed in a car crash within hours of Clayton's death.

"Debra Clayton risked her life for this community that she loves so dearly, and to put her handcuffs on the bad guy that she was trying to catch when she was killed, it's just significant," Orlando Police Chief John Mina said at a press conference.

Authorities appeared to put greater pressure on Loyd on Tuesday. Earlier in the day, Orlando police announced the U.S. Marshals added Loyd to their 15 Most Wanted list. The reward for information leading to Loyd's capture grew to $125,000. Police also tweeted a digitally-altered photo of Loyd in case he had changed his appearance.

Loyd was arrested at an abandoned house just around the corner from Clayton's mother's house, Mina said. Loyd initially tried to escape out of the back of the house but went back inside, Mina said. 

"When Markeith Loyd came out the front door, he was wearing body armor, and he had two handguns in his possession. One of those handguns carries a 100-round drum," Mina said at a press conference. He also said Loyd resisted arrest and sustained facial injuries.

Last week, police arrested three people they believe helped Loyd avoid being captured.