There's a new Silicon Valley-backed health craze popping up in some parts of the country: drinking unfiltered, untreated "raw water." Some stores are bottling natural spring water and selling it for as much as $60 a pop. But is it safe?
Proponents of the raw water movement claim typical drinking water has the same bacteria and minerals you'd find in nature but also the chemicals and chlorine used to treat it. They also point out the risk of contaminants in municipal water — like lead from corrosive pipes.
But experts say raw water could contain dangerous bacteria, viruses and parasites that could make you seriously sick.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention argues even basic water treatment methods and filtration can help stave off dangerous contaminants and that the chemicals used to treat the water are safe for consumption.
And even though treated municipal water can still become contaminated — as was the case in Flint, Michigan — it's probably better to be safe than sorry.