Earlier this month, some branches of the military started giving sensitivity training to officers and civilian employees on how to assist and include transgender troops.
But now Defense Secretary Jim Mattis is considering stalling the policy that allows transgender people to enlist altogether.
The ban on transgender service members was lifted last year, thanks to a directive from former Secretary of Defense Ash Carter.
"Transgender Americans may serve openly and they can no longer be discharged or otherwise separated from the military just for being transgender," Carter said.
A ban on transgender troops enlisting was supposed to be lifted on July 1, 2017. But leaders from the Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines have reportedly asked Mattis to push the deadline back by as much as two years.
A Pentagon spokeswoman says Mattis is still making his decision.