Iran's foreign minister says the country filed a complaint with the International Court of Justice Monday over the re-imposition of U.S. sanctions.
On Twitter, Mohammad Javad Zarif called the restoration of sanctions "unlawful" and said, "Iran is committed to the rule of law in the face of U.S. contempt for diplomacy and legal obligations."
President Donald Trump announced earlier this year that he was pulling the U.S. out of the Iran nuclear deal.
France, the U.K., Germany, Russia, China, the U.S. and Iran signed the deal in 2015. It puts restrictions on Iran's nuclear program in return for relief from economic sanctions.
Trump's decision allows U.S. sanctions against Iran to, over time, snap back into place. The first set will be restored in August.