Uganda Isn't Worried About Its Most Notorious Warlord Anymore

The nearly five-year manhunt for warlord Joseph Kony ended Wednesday, as the Ugandan military says he "no longer poses any significant threat."
SMS
Uganda Isn't Worried About Its Most Notorious Warlord Anymore

Uganda's army says it's no longer searching for warlord Joseph Kony, although he remains at large. The manhunt had been ongoing in the Central African Republic since 2012. 

Kony and the Lord's Resistance Army were thrust into the international spotlight in 2012 by the charity Invisible Children, which produced a viral video about the rebel leader to raise awareness and encourage people to donate to its cause. 

The Ugandan army spokesperson, Brig. Richard Karemire, said in a statement that "Joseph Kony with less than 100 armed fighters is now weak and ineffective. He no longer poses any significant threat to Uganda's security and northern Uganda in particular." 

Kony's rebel group rose to prominence in Uganda more than two decades ago.

Kony himself eventually moved to the Central African Republic. He is wanted for war crimes across central Africa, including chopping off people's limbs and abducting children to use as soldiers. 

Several of the Lord's Resistance Army's top commanders have already surrendered and are standing trial for war crimes and crimes against humanity.

The U.S. had been backing the Ugandan army but withdrew most of its forces from the country last month. They have helped reduce Kony's group from 2,000 to less than 100 fighters.

Uganda's troops are now set to withdraw from the Central African Republic by May of next year.

Featured Stories
Demonstrators participate in the 2014 People's Climate March.

The People's Climate March Is About More Than Just The Environment

U.S. Army Sgt. Joshua Rodgers and Sgt. Cameron Thomas

Friendly Fire May Have Killed 2 US Army Rangers In Afghanistan

President Trump at a press conference

Has President Trump Delivered On His 100-Day Contract With Voters?