A cyberattack has left the Pentagon scrambling and about 4,000 Defense Department workers without email.
"U.S. officials are telling NBC News that Russia launched a 'sophisticated cyberattack' against the Pentagon's Joint Staff unclassified email system. It's now been shut down and taken offline for nearly two weeks," said CNBC's Sue Herera.
It's not clear if this attack, which happened around July 25, was authorized by the Russian government, but one U.S. official told CNBC, "It was clearly the work of a state actor."
Last month, the Pentagon had its hands full after another Russian hacking group's virus targeted Defense Department computers through a phishing scheme.
These attacks are described as requiring extremely advanced technology to be carried out. Officials say no classified information was compromised in this most recent attack.
This video includes an image from Getty Images.