President Donald Trump is once again threatening to cut aid to three Central American countries for not stopping a migrant caravan that's making its way across Mexico toward the U.S.
In a tweet Monday, he said Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador failed to stop the migrants. So now, he said the U.S. is going to start "cutting off, or substantially reducing, the massive foreign aid routinely given to them."
The president also said he's alerted Border Patrol and the military that the situation is a "National [Emergency]." Trump previously threatened to close the U.S.-Mexico border over the caravan.
On Sunday, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo accused migrants in the caravan of provoking violence. He also said organizers were politically motivated and said the U.S. wouldn't let the migrants into the country.
The caravan started its march on Oct. 12 with about 160 people. As of Sunday night, Mexican officials said that the migrant caravan had expanded to some 7,000 people. It's unclear where the additional people came from.
On Saturday, Guatemalan President Jimmy Morales said thousands of migrants in the caravan had returned to Honduras after being held up while trying to cross the Mexico-Guatemala border.
Much of the caravan reportedly avoided authorities by illegally crossing the Suchiate River into Mexico.
Mexico has asked for help from the U.N. refugee agency to help figure out which migrants have legitimate asylum claims. Individuals will need to apply for refugee status if they don't have the right travel documents.
Additional reporting from Newsy affiliate CNN.