The Trump administration has awarded $1.7 million to a chain of pregnancy centers that don’t offer contraceptives or abortions.
The Department of Health & Human Services announced Friday this year's recipients of Title X family planning service grants. Earlier this month, the administration enacted a new rule that would cut federal funding to facilities that perform or refer patients for abortions. It would also require clinics receiving funding be completely separate, physically and financially, from facilities that are linked to abortion services and it would shift some funding toward faith-based organizations.
The Obria group, a California-based non-profit, said Friday it will "receive $5.1 million over the course of three years in Title X Family Planning funding."
Obria Group's Founder and CEO said, "With this grant, the administration has opened up a new avenue of health care choices for low income and underserved women and their families in California. Many women want the opportunity to visit a professional, comprehensive health care facility – not an abortion clinic – for their health care needs; today HHS gave women that choice."
Meanwhile, Planned Parenthood said in a statement Friday that the administration cut funding from four of its affiliates. The Trump administration's rule is expected to go into effect in more than a month.