Kenya Is Closing All Of Its Refugee Camps, Displacing 600,000 People
The Kenyan government says it will shutter the camps "within the shortest time possible."LEARN MORE
Kenya's highest court has blocked a government plan to close the Dadaab refugee camp.
The world's largest refugee camp won't be forced to shut down after all.
Kenya's highest court has blocked a government plan to close the Dadaab refugee camp because the move was ruled discriminatory and unconstitutional.
CNN quoted the judge as saying the plan was "arbitrary, discriminatory and undignifying and hence a violation of Articles 27 and 28 of the constitution and consequently the same is null and void."
Last year, the Kenyan government issued an order to dissolve the camp, which the United Nations runs. The closure would have forced more than 200,000 Somali refugees to return to their war-torn country.
The government argued keeping Dadaab up and running was a security issue.
Specifically, it claims extremist group al-Shabab has been using the camp as a base to recruit new members and plan attacks on Kenyan soil.
But human rights groups said closing the camp would put a quarter of a million refugees at risk of human rights abuses.
The Kenyan government had not responded to the ruling as of 4 p.m. Thursday local time.
Sudan's coup leaders and the main pro-democracy group signed a deal Monday to establish a civilian-led transitional government.By Marwan Ali / AP
The Precision Air plane encountered issues amid bad weather and plunged into the water.By AYO TV via AP
The attack occurred on a day when the president, prime minister and other senior officials were meeting to discuss combating violent extremism.By Farah Abdi Warsameh / AP
College enrollment is on the decline as students weigh a number of factors forcing them to reconsider higher education.By Ted Shaffrey / AP
Google’s annual list reveals the top search trends of the year in a range of categories — a serial killer and American treasure also made the top 10.By Michael Dwyer / AP
Phil Spencer, the head of Xbox, tweeted that Microsoft “entered into a 10-year commitment" worth $69 billion to bring Call of Duty to Nintendo.By Martin Meissner / AP