Saudi Arabia says journalist Jamal Khashoggi's killing was a "mistake," and that Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman knew nothing about it.
In an interview with Fox News on Sunday, the country's foreign minister said the individuals responsible for the killing acted on their own, and weren't sanctioned by the prince. He also said the government doesn't know where Khashoggi's body is.
The minister's comments came on the same day Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan announced his country's investigation would reveal the "naked truth" about Khashoggi's killing on Tuesday.
Khashoggi had been missing for more than two weeks before the Saudi government announced Friday that he had died in a fight at the country's consulate in Istanbul. Turkish officials maintain they have evidence Khashoggi was deliberately killed by a Saudi team.
President Donald Trump told the Washington Post, Saudi Arabia's account of journalist Jamal Khashoggi's death is "all over the place," but that he still supports the country and Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.
That's despite extensive condemnation of the prince from U.S. allies and lawmakers in the president's own party. U.S. intelligence officials increasingly believe the prince is connected to Khashoggi's killing, according to The New York Times.
Saudi Arabia's story has also been undermined by members of its own government. An anonymous Saudi official told Reuters on Sunday that operatives accidentally strangled Khashoggi to death after he resisted their demands that he return to Saudi Arabia.
Additional reporting by Newsy affiliate CNN.