Reports: Administration Officials Told To Skip Correspondents' Dinner

SMS
Reports: Administration Officials Told To Skip Correspondents' Dinner
CNN and Politico report the White House ordered administration staff to boycott this weekend's White House Correspondents' Dinner.
SHOW TRANSCRIPT

The White House has ordered Trump administration officials to boycott this weekend's White House Correspondents' Dinner, according to multiple news outlets. 

CNN and Politico report White House Cabinet secretary Bill McGinley issued the order to staffers on Tuesday morning. The White House later told The Hill that administration members will not be attending.

President Trump himself has not attended the dinner since he was elected.

Earlier this month, the president said he plans to hold a rally on the day of the dinner, which is Saturday. He said: "I'm going to hold a rally. Yeah, because the dinner is so boring and so negative that we're going to hold a very positive rally."

He's since announced on Twitter that rally will be in Green Bay, Wisconsin, on Saturday at 8 p.m. Eastern. 

The annual dinner is known for inviting comedians who roast guests, especially White House officials. But this year, the Correspondents' Association has invited author Ron Chernow to be the featured speaker instead. 

Additional reporting from Newsy affiliate CNN.