Iran's deputy foreign minister says emergency talks held over the weekend to try to salvage the 2015 nuclear deal were "constructive," but there are still issues that need to be addressed.
Abbas Araqchi told reporters the discussions, which took place in Vienna on Sunday, were "good." And he said he and officials from Britain, France, Germany, Russia and China are committed to saving the landmark agreement. He said not everything was resolved, but there are "lots of commitments."
The future of the nuclear deal has been uncertain after the U.S. pulled out of the agreement last year and started gradually reimposing sanctions on Tehran.
Iran responded to the move by increasing its nuclear activities. And the country vowed to withdraw completely from the deal unless European officials can help protect its economy from those sanctions.
Araqchi's comments came the same day as the head of Iran's Atomic Energy Organization reportedly told lawmakers Tehran will resume nuclear activities at the Arak heavy water nuclear reactor.