Tina Fey's Women In Entertainment Acceptance Speech: 'What An Amazing Year It's Been For Women!'By Micheala Sosby | December 7, 2016
Tina Fey received the Sherry Lansing Leadership Award on Wednesday morning at The Hollywood Reporter's annual Women in Entertainment breakfast. It's hard to just pick a few highlights from her acceptance speech, but here are five snippets we think will make you laugh and/or think about the state of women in the world.
1. "I think power is having the freedom to say no to something you don't want to do, whether it's writing a pilot for a bad actor or the butter scene in 'Last Tango in Paris' or telling Roger Ailes to put his hamburger meat back in the freezer. Feeling like you can say no without any negative repercussions is an important kind of power, and it's one we can help give each other. I have that power, and I promise to help other women have it, too."
2. "What is my role in this business going to be once nobody wants to grab me by the p---- anymore?"
3. "I want to keep making things. I want to keep telling stories, mostly about women and girls. I want them to be positive stories. I want to hire women."
4. "What an amazing year it's been for women! What a year for women!" *laughs hysterically* *cries on podium*
5. On questions reporters need to stop asking her: "They ask me, 'What do you say to people who say, 'Women aren't funny?' To which I say, 'It's time to stop talking about that and start talking about how black people are funnier than white people.'"