And The American Word For Muggle Is …


November 4, 2015

Muggle [noun] - A non-magic person; one who does not possess magical skills or abilities.

Harry Potter fans are all too familiar with the term “muggle” — but did you know that stateside witches and wizards have an entirely different version of the term?

According to a recent exclusive from Entertainment Weekly, J.K. Rowling has coined a new term for American wizards to describe non-magical people. In the U.S., muggles are apparently called “no-maj.” That’s right, no-maj, as in non-magical.

(As in that letter from Hogwarts you’ve been waiting for is never going to come, no-maj.)

The hyphenated, abbreviated word does seem very American, but Americans on the Internet don’t seem to agree.

Although, not everyone hates the term.

It may take a little getting used to.


The good news is, you’ll have the chance to see the word in action when the latest Harry Potter-adjacent film, "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them," hits theaters next year.