Be the most informed person in the room with Newsy's free e-newsletter

View our privacy policy:
Getty Images / Scott Olson

State Of Emergency Declared Following Ferguson Shooting

A man was wounded after reportedly pulling his gun on police during protests marking the anniversary of Michael Brown's death.

By Matt Moreno | August 10, 2015

A state of emergency has been declared in Ferguson, Missouri after at least one officer-involved shooting marred largely peaceful demonstrations on the one-year anniversary of Michael Brown's death.

"We just want to be as patient as possible," Ferguson police chief Andre Anderson said.

"A message to those who are looti ..." a KMOV reporter starts to ask before being interrupted by gunshots. 

Article Continues Below

Officials vowed last night's violence "will not be tolerated in a community that has worked so tirelessly over the last year to rebuild."

Shots first rang out around 11 p.m. local time. St. Louis County Police say at least one man is in critical but stable condition after two groups began shooting at each other. The man fled, but was wounded after reportedly pulling his gun on police in an unmarked SUV. (Video via KTVI

"There is a small group of people out there that are intent on making sure we don't have peace that prevails," St. Louis County Police Chief Jon Belmar said during a press conference. 

The state of emergency order puts St. Louis County Police Chief Jon Belmar in charge of Ferguson's police response to the protests. 

On Twitter, St. Louis police shared photos of at least two unmarked police cars that came under fire during the protests. 

Local businesses were also looted during Sunday night's gatherings, but nothing on the scale of what occurred in the area nearly a year ago

Brown was killed Aug. 9 last year by Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson. In November, a grand jury decided not to indict Wilson. 

This video includes images from Getty Images. 

Want to see more stories like this?
Like Newsy on Facebook for More U.S. Coverage