New Terrorist Video Threatens Sochi Olympics
A new video from the young men who claimed responsibility for two bombings in Volgograd says a "surprise" is in store if the Olympics go forward.By Jamal Andress | January 19, 2014
With only three weeks before one of the most anticipated sporting events of the year, yet another threat has been issued against the Sochi Olympic Games.
"These are reportedly the young men who carried out a terror attack not far from Sochi. ... You can see them preparing a bomb and also issuing a fresh threat." (Via ABC)
The video was posted on a Chechen extremist site. One of the men is quoted by ABC saying: "If [the Olympics] happens, we'll have a surprise for you. This is for all the Muslim blood that is shed every day around the world. ... This will be our revenge."
The two men featured in the video claim responsibility for the back-to-back bombings in the Russian city of Volgograd last month that killed more than 30 people and injured dozens more. (Via RT)
But despite these threats and others, Russian President Vladmir Putin is confident in his ability to host a successful and, more importantly, safe Olympic Games in Sochi.
Putin said during an interview Friday, "We have a perfect understanding of the scope of the threat and how to deal with it and how to prevent it." (Via Los Angeles Times)
And that may sound comforting, but at least one U.S. lawmaker isn't convinced.
Republican Congressman Mike Rogers from Michigan said Sunday he's worried about the safety of U.S. athletes and visitors to Sochi. (Via United States Navy)
"I am very concerned about the security status of the Olympics. ... We don't seem to be getting all the information we need to protect our athletes in the games." (Via CNN)
The video threatening the Olympics was released Sunday, just one day before the Olympic torch is set to travel through Volgograd.