Here's How A Salon Visit Might Have Given A Woman A Stroke

"Beauty salon stroke syndrome" can occur when you get your hair washed and you tilt your head backward too far, causing a vertebra to slice an artery.
SMS
Here's How A Salon Visit Might Have Given A Woman A Stroke

After suffering a stroke, a California woman is suing her hair salon.

Elizabeth Smith told Newsy's partners at KGTV doctors say she likely suffers from something called "beauty parlor stroke syndrome."

It can happen when you tilt your head backward in a shampoo chair. If the neck is hyper-extended, a vertebra can slice an artery, leading to a blood clot that can eventually cause a stroke.

Smith had a stroke about a week after going to a beauty salon. Two years later, she still has problems with her strength, balance and vision, as well as a life-threatening clot in her brain.

Some salons have reclining chairs or adjustable sinks to help take the strain off of a customer's neck.

But some doctors recommend that older people with arthritis don't have their hair washed like this. Everyone else should avoid learning back more than 15 to 20 degrees or just have their hair washed face-down.

This video includes images from Getty Images.

Featured Stories
Then-Labor Secretary Thomas Perez addresses the 10th annual Make Progress National Summit

Democrats Vote For Tom Perez To Make Their Party Great Again

People watch election returns

The New Democratic Party Chair Has A Tall Task Ahead

Trump in Oval Office

Leaked Government Document Seems To Be At Odds With Trump's Travel Ban

Want to see more stories like this?
Like Newsy on Facebook for More U.S. Coverage