Image Source: Inquisitr

BY COLLIN RUANE
ANCHOR LAUREN ZIMA

Two brothers in Kansas are in trouble with the law after celebrating a $75,000 lottery win in a rather bizarre way.

The Inquisitr reports the brothers “… purchased enough marijuana and meth to ‘raise the roof’ and accidentally … [blew] up their house.”

One brother had reportedly tried to refill a butane torch with lighter fluid, and released gas that got ignited. The explosion sent the younger brother to the hospital with second degree burns on his hands, face and chest -- he is in serious but stable condition. Still, a local police sergeant couldn’t hold back while explaining what happened during a news conference.

SGT. BRUCE WATTS: “The butane vapors cloud reached a pilot light in the furnace, and as you might expect ka-boom.”

KAKE-TV points out the two brothers were not the only ones affected by the blast.

REPORTER: “Wichita police say there were also children home at the time. Officers are still looking for the girlfriend who took the injured man to the hospital and the children.”

Indeed, The Wichita Eagle reports one brother was taken to the hospital by his girlfriend; she left him there. As for the other brother:

“Officers went to the house with a warrant, where the other brother ran out, admitting he had marijuana and methamphetamine. He was arrested.”

But while the situation was certainly serious, media couldn’t help but poke fun.

Newser writes the two: “… decided to truly live it up … and go for the Darwin Award while their luck was hot.”

MSN adds: “Win the lottery, and you can pay off bills and buy necessities, or you can blow it all on a good time.”

WDAF even got in on the fun calling the two brothers “Dumb and Dumber.”

The brother who was taken to the hospital was wearing a Kansas Lottery t-shirt at the time of the explosion.

Brothers Blow up House While Celebrating Lottery Win

by Collin Ruane
1
Transcript
Feb 18, 2013

Brothers Blow up House While Celebrating Lottery Win

Image Source: Inquisitr

BY COLLIN RUANE
ANCHOR LAUREN ZIMA

Two brothers in Kansas are in trouble with the law after celebrating a $75,000 lottery win in a rather bizarre way.

The Inquisitr reports the brothers “… purchased enough marijuana and meth to ‘raise the roof’ and accidentally … [blew] up their house.”

One brother had reportedly tried to refill a butane torch with lighter fluid, and released gas that got ignited. The explosion sent the younger brother to the hospital with second degree burns on his hands, face and chest -- he is in serious but stable condition. Still, a local police sergeant couldn’t hold back while explaining what happened during a news conference.

SGT. BRUCE WATTS: “The butane vapors cloud reached a pilot light in the furnace, and as you might expect ka-boom.”

KAKE-TV points out the two brothers were not the only ones affected by the blast.

REPORTER: “Wichita police say there were also children home at the time. Officers are still looking for the girlfriend who took the injured man to the hospital and the children.”

Indeed, The Wichita Eagle reports one brother was taken to the hospital by his girlfriend; she left him there. As for the other brother:

“Officers went to the house with a warrant, where the other brother ran out, admitting he had marijuana and methamphetamine. He was arrested.”

But while the situation was certainly serious, media couldn’t help but poke fun.

Newser writes the two: “… decided to truly live it up … and go for the Darwin Award while their luck was hot.”

MSN adds: “Win the lottery, and you can pay off bills and buy necessities, or you can blow it all on a good time.”

WDAF even got in on the fun calling the two brothers “Dumb and Dumber.”

The brother who was taken to the hospital was wearing a Kansas Lottery t-shirt at the time of the explosion.

View More
Comments
Newsy
www2