Be the most informed person in the room with Newsy's free e-newsletter

View our privacy policy: http://www.newsy.com/privacy/

At Least 50 Killed In Turkey After Suicide Bombing Hits Wedding Party

No group has claimed responsibility for the blast yet, but ISIS and Kurdish militants have carried out similar attacks before.
SMS

At least 50 people were killed and more than 90 wounded after an explosion struck a wedding in southern Turkey.

President Recip Tayyip Erdogan said ISIS is believed to be responsible for the suspected suicide bombing. It happened Saturday outside a wedding hall in Gaziantep. The explosion reportedly targeted attendees of a Kurdish wedding.

SEE MORE: Turkey's New State Of Emergency Furthers Erdogan's Power Grab

Gaziantep is about 40 miles from the Syrian border and has been targeted by suicide bombers from ISIS in the past. Kurdish militant groups, such as the PKK, have also carried out similar attacks in the country. 

Erdogan reportedly said Thursday there is "no difference" between ISIS, PKK and the group believed to be responsible for the attempted coup last month. 

Turkey's media monitoring agency introduced a temporary reporting ban in the immediate aftermath of the bombing, and there were several reports of a government clampdown on social media, as well.

Featured Stories
Rep. John Lewis speaks at a podium

Democrats Are Boycotting The Inauguration Ceremony En Masse

A graphic of Donald Trump taking the inaugural oath

The Attendance, Cost And Other Big Numbers Behind Trump's Inauguration

The U.S. Supreme Court building

Lawsuit Over Detainee Mistreatment After 9/11 Reaches Supreme Court

Want to see more stories like this?
Like Newsy on Facebook for More Middle East Coverage