Be the most informed person in the room with Newsy's free e-newsletter

View our privacy policy:

Fire Destroys Wedding Venue As Couple Says "I Do"

A three-alarm fire has destroyed a century-old wedding venue, and it happened right as a Massachusetts couple tied the know Saturday.

A three-alarm fire has destroyed a century-old wedding venue, and it happened right as a Massachusetts couple tied the knot Saturday. 

Officials say "careless disposal" of a cigarette near the building caused the blaze as wedding guests as well as the bride and groom were gathered inside the building. (Via WHDH)

The man who officiated the wedding in front of about 100 guests told The Boston Globe​"Literally as they were saying 'I do' we saw smoke. ... [The groom] didn’t know what to say or what to do — he was angry and emotional."

Luckily, there were no injuries reported in the weekend fire. According to WBZ-TV, the 108-year-old venue didn't have any sprinklers. Officials say the building is being demolished.

WFXT reports dozens of other couples who had planned to get married at the venue later this year are now having to look elsewhere.

"Our wedding is on a Saturday in the middle of July — the busy season. We already booked our honeymoon. We don't know if we can get that money back. We sent out save the dates."

The building's owner told WHDH she's going to do what she can to help couples find other venues. Officials say they believe the fire was an accident. No one is expected to face charges.

Featured Stories
Betsy DeVos testifies during her confirmation hearing.

Democrats Leave DeVos Hearing With More Questions Than Answers

A resident in rural Northeast Ohio uses her laptop

How People In Rural Areas Deal With Bad Or No Internet

A drawing of Chelsea Manning

President Obama Commutes Chelsea Manning's Prison Sentence

Want to see more stories like this?
Like Newsy on Facebook for More Coverage