How Should You Repay Someone Who Was Wrongfully Convicted?

In some states, those who are wrongly convicted are compensated. In other states, they get nothing.
How Should You Repay Someone Who Was Wrongfully Convicted?

Drew Whitley was wrongfully convicted of second-degree murder and spent almost 18 years in prison.

"A good place to stay, food to eat and transportation — that's all I really want out of life," Whitley said. "I don't want to be filthy rich or a millionaire or whatever."

He got nothing from the state of Pennsylvania when he was exonerated.

Some states offer $5,000 to $80,000 a year.

People who have been wrongfully convicted can also sue the state for more money than the allotted amount.

But in other states, those who are wrongfully convicted get nothing.

Thirty-one states and Washington, D.C., have statutes for financial compensation. Montana provides educational aid only.

What do you think is fair compensation for those who are wrongfully convicted?

Featured Stories
President Donald Trump at his Oval Office desk

The Trump Administration Gives A Thumbs-Up To The Keystone XL Pipeline

Paul Manafort

Paul Manafort Agrees To Interview On Russian Ties

Paul Ryan explains the Republican health care plan.

CBO: New GOP Health Care Bill Is More Expensive, Not More Effective